THE OLD Gunpower Store in Granton Harbour, Edinburgh, has been saved from dereliction and now, in a new lease of totally refurbished life, serves not only as the offices of Edinburgh Marina Holdings, while housing a fully furnished show flat and the prelude to the Royal Wharf ‘Living For Retirement’ development, it is also the harbinger of a full service 340 berth yacht marina soon to be sited in Granton’s West Harbour.

‘The berths will really offer a ‘Sail into the City’ opportunity for water borne visitors to Edinburgh, the centre of which is a mere 2.5 miles away,’ enthuses Kevin Fawcett, a director of Edinburgh Marina, interestingly a company that was established ‘way back in 1836.

The marina berths, travel hoist, crane, chandlery and main administration building will form part of a £500 million development encompassing a hotel close to the pontoons and a series of high-end luxury flats.

Access to the new marina will be from the Lighthouse Square turning off Shore Road and down Hesperus Broadway to a sizeable car park. But the pontoon installation is still in the future.